Monday, October 30, 2006

IUI #1 Completed

Last news I got was that we had to move in December, so we only have two more cycles at WHMC! When I went in for my CD12 monitoring, I (fortunately) got Dr. J (the bestest, most understanding and accomodating), and he agreed my next two cycles can be IUI's! Hooray! The morning monitoring was interesting to say the least. I got #1 for Ultrasounds, but the residents had screwed me up by telling me last week NOT to get my blood drawn. Come to find out, I had to get it done. By the time I found that out, about 10 people already had lab #'s. So I waited a while, I think I was the last ultrasound of the morning monitorings, but I was out by 8ish, so no big deal. I'll know better, my instinct told me to just get a blood lab #.

Here were my CD12 numbers's:
E2: 1011
FSH: 3.4
LH: 12
Left Ovary: 14.5, 17.9, 16.4, few less than 10
Right Ovary: 14, few less than 10
Lining: 8.4

As this was Thursday, the doctor said he'd either want a Saturday (CD14) or Sunday (CD15) IUI. He told me to come in tomorrow to see if my LH was surging yet, and if it wasn't we'd do Sunday. I came in Friday (CD13) and got:
E2: 1447
FSH: 2.8
LH: 12

I picked up my HCG shot (Novarel) and was given instructions on using it. WH is doing studies on pregnancy with 12hr or 36 hr post-trigger IUI's. I'm in the 12-hr group, so J gave it to me intramuscularly on Saturday night. I was anxious leading up to it, but the dr called that night to make sure I felt ok (see why I love him?). J did so well (precious husband) that I didn't even feel it, though I did ice the area for 10 minutes beforehand and sang loudly as he injected it. Still, months ago when I mentioned the future possibility of needing him to give me shots, he insisted he'd never do that. When it came down to it, he agreed. Much better than giving it to myself (the doctor wasn't in favor of it for this shot my first time)

Sunday morning was the Big Day: my IUI. Everything went perfectly, and it was only slightly painful cramping for an hour or so. A resident dr and my fav dr did the procedure. Later, when all the follicles were releasing their eggs, my left ovary hurt immensely for the rest of the evening. It was the one that had 3 follicles. I was so very glad to know what was going on and that everything was timed so perfectly. Although - for what it's worth, I chart religiously and my temp shot up that morning. I imagine I already ovulated at least the biggest egg. I asked the doctor about it but he said it should be ok. I'm a little upset they don't do ultrasounds or blood draws on the IUI day, but I guess their philosophy is, we're going to do it anyway, why waste the resources? Sperm count post-wash: 95 million, 55% motile.

I also want to mention, I know I've expressed frustration with the military infertility clinic here. Well, 3 visits ago, for my hysteroscopy and baseline ultrasound, I got another of the 4 staff doctors, but one I hadn't met. I have finally learned who the staff doctors are, and who the residents are, and that the only people with authority and real knowledge are the staff doctors! Anyway, I got Dr. J and he was completely different than the others. Very willing to work with us, initiated asking me how long we'd be in San Antonio, and offered to put us on a faster track since we wouldn't be here long. He's not all caught up in the schedule of how things should go, he calls me personally to verify or inform me of things, and he is sincerely kind and personal. Plus he's good. He answers every question I can think of. So I'm thrilled. From now on, I'm going to try to get appointments with him. So here's hoping for some good news in 2 weeks. But if not, we shall try, try again.


No comments: