Thursday, June 12, 2008

No Really, I Did Find It This Time

I can officially rename my blog. Morning sickness has been found. However, as I'm only 8weeks 1day today, I have realized I actually want more than m/s.... I'd like a real live baby. But I can't change my blog to "In Search of a Real Live Baby" because, well, no one would know it was me. And I like me old name.

Anyway, yeah, morning sickness hit with a lot of force sometime around week 7. I still don't actually throw up (hold off for story), but I am nauseous all day long. I can rarely think of more than 1 or 2 foods a day that don't make me sicker to eat. Water has become pretty unbearable, so it's been gatorade lately. And I'm a stricty water and coffee-based drinks gal. No anymore. I rarely can tolerate coffee either. My husband's many offers of Starbucks have been turned down all but once (when I agreed to share one with him if I could). Yesterday, I managed pringles and golden raisins all day. Then when J was headed home he wanted to get me some soup. I requested chicken noodle in a box. He came home with 3 boxes of 4-serving size packets each!!! Is he not the sweetest? He picked up barley too, seeming to think I could add that to the chicken or beef bullion if I can manage that. I love how he's trying to take care of me. I haven't been able to fix him lunch or dinner for a few days now, which makes me feel terrible in my job as a wife. But he's been more than understanding.

Now, want to hear a funny story? Well, we decided to take a 4 day weekend this past one to go to Savannah to the beach there. We rented a little condo and got there ready to have a great time. And every day we spent lots of time at the beach, took walks at night, collected shells, visited the cute downtown area, and ate terrific seafood. We also joined a boat club where you pay a membership fee and you get to use any of their boats whenever you want, and when you're done, you just leave it to them. They take care of fueling them up, cleaning them, maintenance, docking them, etc. Back in '06 we owned a 27 foot boat we kept in Corpus Christi when we were living in San Antonio, so we're well aware of all the work owning a boat is. This seemed like a great opportunity to get all the fun without the hassle, at least until we move.

So, Tuesday we decided to use a boat to go 12 miles offshore to fish over some sunken stuff that gets lots of spanish & king mackrel, cobia, & whatnot. 1-2 foot seas was projected. We left at 8 and by 9 it was SOOOO choppy! We had to go about 12 mph, and we still had like 9 miles left (approximations). I got really beat up and was feeling very sick (it was also close to 100 degrees out and going slower meant less wind to help alleviate the heat). J put out some fishing lines as we went so slow, in case anything wanted to bite. All the while, I'm feeling awful. He then said we could speed up now, and could I reel in the 2 lines. I tried to, but literally was stopping every 10 seconds to just breathe and not look at anything. I felt horrible! I then tangled the lines, and he told me he'd need to fix them, so could I drive the boat. At this point, I told him I didn't think I could (I had driven about 30 minutes prior, and that sort-of put me over the edge, nausea-wise). I found my way to the edge of the boat, hung out there, and then just hurled. But first, I surprised myself by crying. Yes, actually cyring I was so miserable. Even I didn't think I would cry from just being sick. I cried as I threw up (which made J ask, "Are you laughing?"). Anyway, he wanted to turn around, but I figured we'd gone this far, we should try to go on. He agreed if I threw up again, we'd turn around.

I felt better instantly, good enough I thought I was done. Ah! But another 30 minutes in the heat, waves, lolling, getting beat around, and well, I foudn my way to the other side of the boat to heave again. This time no crying. J was saying, "We're going back" as I hurled, but thru heaves I practically yelled, "No! We've got this far! Stay!" I just felt it'd be a big letdown and waste to do that. Plus, I could take it.

So, he agreed to fish an hour. Unfortunately, I curled up on a towel and just laid there. He had to pilot the boat, watch 2-3 rods, and bait everything. I don't know how long it was, but he did get 4 fish, 2 keeping size. Yummy ones in our freezer now. By about the hour or hour and a half mark, I had enough of thinking "I'm so sick, I'm so miserable, I hate the heat and smell and movement." that I asked, "When are we going home?" And he decided to then and there.

The ride back was just as rough, but I did not throw up anymore. I stayed out of the direct sunlight and I kept my eyes closed. I know that helped. But the nausea was there the rest of the day!

I've never been sick on a boat (thought I've felt it at times). I've never been purely morning sick. But I think that was morning sickness, as close as I get. Yes, I'm tired of feeling nauseous all the time every day now (I know, it's only a week). But I so have high hopes baby is growing and causing this. And I will do anything for that little baby. Just keep growing!

Question: I want to buy a fetal doppler. When is the earliest you tried & got a heartbeat on one?


gracechild said...

Let's just say, you gave the phrase "fish food" a whole new meaning :). Hope you enjoyed the rest of the long weekend once you got on solid ground

Searching said...

Oh, poor you! I can only imagine how awful that was (being nauseated from GI issues and migraines while in 100* heat on a choppy boat was pure hell. I puked too, but only once). You are mighty brave to have continued on and then hung in there 1 1/2 h! Maybe have Mel put your question on L&F tomorrow.

Katie said...

You are a tougher cookie than me, my dear. I get seasick under normal conditions and during the first trimester - ha! I couldn't have even looked at a boat without throwing up!

I am sorry morning sickness has found you. Ask your OB about increased vitamin B6 (25 mg 2 times per day) and ginger tea. I used a ginger root one from -no caffeine. It did help. I also tried Seabands (but don't think that they worked). My doctor said one of the best remedies for morning sickness is flat coke, yes, WITH the caffeine. But he was right, it did seem to settle my stomach. There is coke syrup at some drugstores, too, which I believe has even less caffeine in it.

I didn't ever buy a doppler, so I can't help you there, but I believe 10 weeks is about the earliest time.

Samantha said...

I think morning sickness is a misnomer - from what I have heard, it strikes any time of day! I hope your husband appreciated that boat trip.

Anonymous said...

OH, I hope you are feeling better!!! Hang in there!!!! I am sure there are different kinds of dopplers, but I was just reading another blog and they bought one and it was $800 and they had it like 2 days and there dog got a hold of it and chewed it up!!!! So, I don't know if you have any animals, but if you get one make sure you keep it in a safe place!!! :) Hope you have a nice weekend!!!

docgrumbles said...

We are a special group that actually welcomes the sickness!

At 10 weeks, I have only thrown up twice, both times in the evening after dinner. Mixed with the gross feeling that naturally is paired with the act, all I could think was, "This is a great sign!"

I hope you make it all the way to the real live baby!

Kim said...

we rented a doppler from I loved that when you were done, you could leave a heartbeat recorded on there and have them send you back a cd.


so, the search is over? i was extremely sick w/ my pregnancy and if you are still experiencing nausea, i can offer my advice on what helped and what didn't. for awhile i even had an iv put in b/c i was sooooo dehydrated! good luck and hope you are feeling better soon!

Kenya said...

Don't buy one, rent one. You'll be much better off. And congrats on entering the world of nausea and puking in a way. Poor thing, but it will all be worth it in the end.

Heather said...

Sorry you're not feeling well. But you are a trooper about the fishing trip. Hope you get to enjoy eating the fish and that the smell doesn't bother you!