Sunday, February 1, 2009

Announcing Baby Girl!

As you probably guess by now... our beautiful baby daughter, Elyana, came into the world on Monday, January 19th at 4:05pm. It was after 35 hours of labor, but naturally (i.e. unmedicated), as I wanted!!! She weighed 7lb 13oz, 20 and 3/4 inches long!!!

My husband was amazing - I would not have continued on natural childbirth without his encouragement and clear-headedness at all the times I needed it! Here's a bit of a synopsis of her birth story.

My labor contractions started by waking me 5:30am on Sunday morning. I labored at home until about 8:30pm, when we headed to the hospital. There was never a "this is it" moment, or a surety we weren't going too early. But went we did. I was 4-5cm dialated, but with contractions 60-70 seconds long and ~3 minutes apart, so we did what we thought best. In retrospect it made the night very long and uncomfortable for J (at least at home he could have really slept in his own bed for a few hours!). I did not need heavy coaching during all that time, although he was coaching and helping me from the very beginning.

I was a classic "putterer" case, in Bradley-speak (I realized that myself, by Monday morning when I was only a 6-7cm dialated, and even told J that). My midwife had taken the weekend off entirely, and turned her cell phone off (I knew ahead of time she was doing it, but never really figured I'd go early). As it was, it did not matter because J was entirely what I needed. We had awesome nurses that were so so wonderful (another God-send), but they pretty much left us to labor ourselves as J had it well in control. By 12 I had the urge to push, and 12:50 started after the doctor came by and checked the baby and me (at this point, I let them break my water, since we thought it could hurry things up and I was tired of being in labor at this point). Let's just say after an hour and a half, the baby had moved further back! And the doctor started giving us a lecture on trying pitocin, possibly an epidural, and the moving to a c-section if those failed. He was ready to go and called me "failure to progress" (seroiously, after only 1 1/2 hours). J and I knew we should continue, as the baby had been doing awesome on the fetal monitor with every contraction. Let's just say, an hour and a half later, Elyana came into the world! Another doctor delieverd (which I was glad for) and it was amazing!

We are so so overwhelmed with this little girl. She is precious and so good and is just beautiful. She has stolen our hearts. Being a mommy is the most wonderful thing, I am loving it so much and treasuring every moment with her, even the sleepless nights. It is amazing how a child like this can erase the intense pain of the last three years. We stand in awe at what a precious gift she is.

Here are a few beautiful pictures.



20 comments:

Stacemoe said...

35 Hours of labor and no drugs...You are the woman!!!! I am so proud of you and happy you had the birth experience you wanted!!! Also, so thankful you had a different doctor to deliver!!!
She is BEAUTIFUL!!! So precious! I am so happy you have this wondeful blessing safely in your arms. Enjoy every second! It all goes by so quickly. Take TONS of pictures and videos...even when she is screaming...her sweet cry will change (I am sure you know this) But I am so happy I have mine on video...it is wonderful to look back when they are older, although I know now you are probably thinking you are not going to listen to videos of her crying!!! But I think you know what I mean! :)
Hope you have a wonderful week and update when you can...
Again, Congratulations Sweet FAMILY OF THREE!!!!!!!!!!

andrea_jennine said...

Congratulations, and welcome Elyana! She's lovely...

Deborah said...

She's beautiful! And wow, good for you on going all-natural! When I got the failure to progress lecture after 2 hours, I said "PLEASE. I just want him out!!" More power to you. :)

Deborah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Deborah said...

She's beautiful! And wow, good for you on going all-natural! When I got the failure to progress lecture after 2 hours, I said "PLEASE. I just want him out!!" More power to you. :)

Deborah said...

She's beautiful! And wow, good for you on going all-natural! When I got the failure to progress lecture after 2 hours, I said "PLEASE. I just want him out!!" More power to you. :)

amy said...

Congratulations! She's so beautiful. Welcome to mommyhood. The first few weeks are kind of crazy but it is a wonderful adventure.
Can't wait to see more pics.

Amy
dancingwithinfertility.blogspot.com

Amanda said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

She is beautiful! And major kudos to you for a natural labor and delivery!

Meg said...

Congrats! She is so adorable and I hope you have been enjoying every second in the last few weeks. So happy for you!

Katie said...

Congratulations! She is so beautiful and I look forward to hearing more about your new life as a mommy!

Jill said...

35 hours of labor and no drugs...girl, you're my hero! WOW!

She is gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing pics with us!

((HUGS))

Julie and Greg said...

congrats! she is so beautiful! I love the picture of the two of you!

Samantha said...

Congrats! And good for you for sticking to your plan with doc. #1. She's a beauty!

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

Congratulations! Beautiful name for a beautiful girl.

All the best.

KH99 said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful and I am awed at 35 hours with no drugs!

Kristen said...

Congratulations! She is gorgeous! And kudos to you for staying true to your natural birth wishes - that is amazing! XOXO

Christy said...

Congratulations! She is wonderfully beautiful! And you are completely awesome . . . .35 hours of labor . . . WOW!

Adriane said...

I'm a little late, but still wanted to wish you Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl!!

glenna marshall said...

Congratulations!! She is beautiful!

docgrumbles said...

absolutely beautiful!